Sunday, November 2, 2008

Twitter

I've joined. Thanks to an invite from a friend; I've faced my information overload/garbage for your head fear, and signed up for a twitter account. I am forced to utter (type) one of my least favorite lines (but I am willing to say it when needed), I was wrong. Garbage for your head, not at all; information overload, it comes in spurts and with any data I should be able to be discerning enough to determine my own interest in tweets and filter information as necessary.

What a wonderful tool to keep updated on peoples' lives! As a huge proponent of face-to-face contact, I assumed twitter removed that element. Much to my surprise (makes perfect sense, just took me a while to figure it out), it really enhances face-time. I like opening up one-on-one conversations in a personal way, "how is you daughter doing in school?" "is your wife feeling better?" etc. Outdated information may make for inappropriate conversation (unfortunately I have run into this more than once...) Twitter gives more updated information, so I can know what someone did last night and ask him or her how it went when I run into him or her the next day.

I am having trouble actually finding people (email finder is great, but with people with multiple addresses, guilty, it becomes a little bit of guesswork). Thanks to L&P I can follow co-workers, and sap off of who they are following; thanks. For anyone who has not tried it out, twitter is lots of fun! Sign up, follow some people, gain some followers, and invite friends.

No comments: